Thursday, March 3, 2016

Convicted to Live

1 Thessalonians 1:5 "because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake."

Not only did Paul and his team share the Gospel with full conviction, they lived out the Gospel in their presence. The phrase “we proved to be”, indicates they possessed the same characteristics they preached – and it was seen!

I can tell you I am gentle in spirit and it is by the power of the Gospel I have been delivered from my anger issues and harsh language.  That is a great testimony until I am in a situation that may prove to be explosive.  Now, we will see if my testimony is true. Will the power of the Gospel I declare overcome my personal response and affirm my testimony – or will I excuse my behavior and ruin the testimony of the power of the Gospel?

In 1 Corinthians 11:1, Paul said, “Be imitators of me as I am of Christ.”

That is a bold invitation that is rooted in full conviction!  He was humbly admitting Jesus was the only one worth imitating and he was personally living with that intention.  Jesus teaches us how to live in the power of the Holy Spirit, describing what to do and what not to do.  He then commands that we follow His teaching.  His teaching is not to restrict our lifestyle, but to reflect His!

So, when we ignore, disobey and rebel – we are choosing NOT to reflect Jesus to a world that desperately needs to see Him!  Our testimony is diminished and His testimony is diminished in us.
You can expect your children (or those who look to you) to model your behavior more than your words because your actions represent your full conviction. Is worship important? For what reasons do you "skip"? The lake, golf course, vacation, too tired? So, worship is important unless something else comes up. Let us live as though we believe what the Bible says (with full conviction)!

No comments:

Post a Comment